Good News for Vintage vehicles owners: Registration of Vintage vehicles starts; Punjab govt appoints one officer
Kanwar Inder Singh/ royalpatiala.in News/ February 5,2024
Punjab government has issues an order of appointment of regional transport officer (RTO), SAS Nagar (Mohali) as State registering authority to register Vintage vehicles.
Any 2/4 wheelers, 50+ years old, maintained in their original form and which have not undergone any substantial overhaul, is defined as Vintage Motor Vehicles.
A vintage motor vehicle is allowed to run on Indian roads only for display, technical research or taking part in a vintage car rally, refuelling and maintenance, exhibitions, vintage rallies, and to and fro to such exhibition or car rally.
With no existing rules for regulating the process of registration across different states, he said the new rules shall provide a hassle-free process along with salient features such as retention of old number for already-registered vehicles and a ‘VA’ series (unique registration mark) for fresh registrations.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has amended CMVR 1989, formalising the registration process of vintage motor vehicles. This is aimed at preserving and promoting the heritage of old vehicles in India.
Good News for Vintage vehicles owners: Registration of Vintage vehicles starts; Punjab govt appoints one officer . Salient Features
- All 2/4 wheelers, 50+ years old, maintained in their original form and which have not undergone any substantial overhaul, shall be defined as Vintage Motor Vehicles.
- Application for registration/re-registration shall be made as per Form 20 and shall be accompanied by an insurance policy, fee, bill of Entry in case of imported vehicles, and old RC in case of an already registered vehicle in India.
- The State Registering Authority shall issue a certificate of registration as per Form 23A, within 60 days.
- Vehicles already registered can retain their original Registration Mark. However, for fresh registration, registration mark will be assigned as “XX VA YY*”, where VA stands for vintage, XX stands for State Code, YY will be a two-letter series and “8” is a number from 0001 to 9999 allotted by the State Registering Authority.
- As per proposal, fees for a new registration – Rs. 20,000 and subsequent re-registration – Rs. 5,000.
- Vintage motor vehicles shall not be driven on roads for regular/commercial purposes.